Thursday, April 16, 2015

Rest



How many of us totally feel rested? Not just physically but mentally?  I have read and read that our bodies need at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep to maintain our health.  I have read countless articles in my quest at becoming healthier and all of them insist rest is one of the most important contributions we can give ourselves to lead a better lifestyle.


I find this to be true.  I know when I'm at the point of exhaustion, it's because I haven't given myself that gift.  I'm too busy trying to please everyone else that I lose sight of my own needs.  Taking a long hot bath at the end of my day used to be a nightly 8:00 PM ritual...I have lost that and need to get it back.  Soaking in lavender with Epsom salt or some other relaxing concoction not only soothes my tired body but rests my mind.  There's something about letting the day wash away - I am able to sleep better, I'm able to clear my mind and take time for me.

Over the past few nights, I have been restless again,  the trials of life hit me and I wasn't able to release them like I have become accustomed to.  They weighed me down.  A heavy heart and mind do not create a recipe for rest.  So after a long talk with someone I love and placing my trust back in God rather than myself and own experiences, I soaked it off last night.  I forced myself to let go of fear and anxiety, hurt and disappointment and let it wash down the drain.  I was able to sleep -  It wasn't 8 hours, but I did sleep.

I think when we learn to be kind to ourselves it only benefits those around us.  If we are at our best, our mind is strong and clear, our spirit fresh and renewed, our bodies are maintained, we are able to go the distance.

Be good to yourself today - There's no way you can begin a new walk when you're too tired to take the first step.  I'm going to listen to my own advice - trust me.  Let's have a great Thursday!!!  :)

#startingover15 - we can start over in many ways - one is being kind to ourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment