Monday, April 13, 2015

Laughter

The best medicine in the world!  Seriously.   I am a woman who loves to laugh and enjoy life.  I can remember my dad (he passed away in 2011) making our family laugh with his funny stories or silly antics.  He was always the life of the party, the guy that people gravitated towards...why?  Because he had a way of making people feel good about themselves.  He had a way of making people laugh.  I learned a lot from that wonderful man.  I can remember him pushing the lawnmower and enjoying life.  I can remember him washing my step-mother's car and singing a song.  It didn't matter what he was doing, he was happy.

My dad didn't have the easiest life either...he suffered greatly.  My mother's death was a huge tragedy in my dad's life.  My mom passed in their 12th year of marriage.  We lived in a small town in Missouri, away from my father's family here in California.  Although he had a huge support network in Missouri, it wasn't the same for him, I'm sure.  He was left as a single dad with a 17 year old son, and two little girls, my sister was 10 and I was 7.  My mother was the Leave it to Beaver mom...she cooked, cleaned, worked in the yard...made my dad's lunch and completely handled all things with us kids.  She also had a part-time job working at one of the local grocery stores...she was amazing.  She brought the music into the home by singing and playing the piano.  How dad loved to get his guitar out and strum along with her.  The two would sing, laugh and dance.

In an instant, his life was changed.  I can remember my dad doing all he could.  He began doing the wash, cooking, trying to fix our hair (oh those tangles hurt so bad), not to mention maintain his job and then began cutting cords of wood to sell in order to fill the gap from my mom's missing wages.  My dad lost his reason to laugh.  Who could blame him???  Somewhere along the way....he began healing.  Somewhere along the way...we began laughing at our situation and laughter started filtering back in our home.  I can remember my dad trying to make gravy for the first time.....it tasted like glue.  As my sister, brother, dad and I tried choking it down...we laughed and laughed.  My sister sent a little note to our Aunt in California saying that dad fed it to the dogs and they probably wouldn't be able to bark for a week...lol.  We learned to cope, we learned to laugh again.  We had each other.

My dad went on to find a wonderful woman who shared many incredible years with him - laughing and enjoying life.  He had a beautiful finish, although far too short.  He finished strong, happy, in love and living life to it's fullest.  Because he learned to laugh again.

My dad taught me that no matter the struggle, no matter the storm, no matter the heartache, no matter the pain.  Your life has meaning and purpose.  He always told me, "Jamie Lynn, your best days are ahead of you." He was right.  I may have had some great memories in my past, but I am walking in my very best days!

My daughters bring me so much joy and happiness.  Their laughter is contagious, they are beautiful strong, funny, amazing women and I'm so proud of them.  My grandson's laughter can cause even the sourest person to crack a smile...and then there's this guy :). This man who can pull me out of a funk with just a look.  I'm so thankful to have found someone who doesn't give up.  Who doesn't throw in the towel when things get rocky but instead he's found a way to laugh with me.  He's found a way to smile with me.

Life is too short to be serious all the time.  Life is too short to have all your memories be filled with pain, bitterness and fear.  Learn to laugh, learn to smile, learn to enjoy each day!!! Smile today, laugh today...the sound is beautiful and catching!!! TRY IT!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment