Friday, April 10, 2015

Forgiveness

I know it may be easier said than done....but if we can do this thing our lives will better for it.  Some may say, "Well you don't know what he or she did to me...you don't know about my childhood abuse or rape or the precious jewelry of my mother's that was stolen or you don't know about the drunk driver that took the life of my family member."  And all of that is terribly horrible painful and real valid reasons to not forgive someone.  The thing is...I have experienced more than my fair share of pain.  At 7 I lost my mother, at 15 I lost my brother, my father nearly 4 years ago, from 14-16 I was sexually abused by someone I trusted which set my life on a terribly confused path.  When I married, I married a man who was my best friend.  Not someone whom I was madly in love with, but someone I trusted...my marriage ended because I could no longer trust him.  I entered a relationship with a man I thought I could trust - he ultimately ended up in prison for a number of things....my life has known much pain and disappointment.  I have spent hours in counseling, in prayer, in tears, in doubt and confusion and have found...when I forgave each and every situation I was able to live again.  Actually...I've had to forgive myself too.


This forgiveness hasn't happened overnight...it's happened over time.  Lots and lots of time.  I find that I'm completely empathetic for those who are walking in emotional pain.  I just want you to know the longer you hold on to it, the more weighed down you become.  Forgiveness truly isn't for the person who hurt you...it's for you.  You gain freedom in forgiveness.  Freedom to live without carrying that weight around.  


I know I don't always forgive immediately...trust me, I have to work through the process.  That may take a day, a month, two or three years....and to be honest in a couple cases it took me nearly 20 years to forgive.  


I talked to my Aunt last night and our family had a terrible tragic thing happen several years back...this has changed my Aunt's family forever...and she said, "Jamie...we think we've forgiven and then something comes up and we realize we haven't...my response was..."We know God did not allow this to happen, it was not His Will...but what we do know is that it's a process to forgive and it may take time...God never says in His Word that forgiveness must happen immediately.  Just keep on working towards it, you'll get there."


Please know that I'm not judging anyone's situation.  I can't imagine your pain and your walk, nor do I make a bold statement that you would be wrong for holding on to your hurt and anger... I just want you to know for me, I have found so much peace for my new walk in life because of forgiveness, both given and received.


It's Friday...It's a new day...Just think about it...going into the weekend free.  Free from your past, walking in your present, looking forward to your future!!Have a beautiful day...and thank you for taking this journey with me...the journey of starting over in my 40's (42 to be exact).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment